Greene being forced out of San Diego?

Crazysilver03

Greene's value is down a bit, but not as much as some seem to think. DCab is out of the equation since almost everyone knows he's a good bet to be declined arbitration, he has NO value weather we pay his salary or not, because he will be a FA.

Greene has said all this past year that he would like to play on the east coast, in a hitters park, and close to his PA home. That would kinda put us high up in the running don't you think? I wouldn't worry about our chances of resigning him, I think they are pretty good. Either way, Hernandez and the throw in of Beato (or Bascom if you like) isn't too much of a risk for a guy that should put up 20-30 HR in OPACY, not to mention he plays a great defensive SS. People are talking about preferring Hardy over Greene for defensive purposes? Hardy is almost the same defensively, but Greene has a bit better zone rating. This is from 2006, but this year's numbers were similar according to PECOTA.

Either way, it's a guy to make a play for, plug another hole, or at least he's a serviceable player that doesn't leave a gaping hole in the order. A complementary player added to a good team is a great combination, now we just have to work on becoming a good team ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd only trade for him if we can resign him. And I think Greene will actually cost more than Hernandez and Beato...I was just using that pair as an example since Crazysilver proposed it.

An offer of David Hernandez and Pedro Beato would at least get the attention of the San Diego Padres, who would then need to turn around and trade a pitcher for nearly MLB-ready prospect at shortstop.

I would guess the Padres would have little interest in Daniel Cabrera, Garrett Olson or Radhmaes Liz.

An offer of David Hernandez and Pedro Beato would at least get the attention of the San Diego Padres, who would then need to turn around and trade a pitcher for nearly MLB-ready prospect at shortstop.

I would guess the Padres would have little interest in Daniel Cabrera, Garrett Olson or Radhmaes Liz.

The Padres will be looking to deal Peavy this off-season.

I'd bet they'd be looking for a young shortstop as part of that deal, along with other parts obviously.

Do remember that Greene is semi-local and last year (don't have a link) many people said that he wanted to return to the east coast and Baltimore. I remember many people talking about this as a point to bring him here when he becomes a free agent. But trading for him for cheap would be very nice as well.

I'd rather see us trade for JJ Hardy instead. Sure he'd cost more in terms of players, but unlike Greene he's actually a good SS.

Greene is a "buy low" guy. If all it takes is trading them DCab to get him, it's a very good deal. We probably will non-tender DCab anyway, so it'd be like we get Greene for nothing.

Hardy will cost us probably 2 of our top prospects outside of Wieters.

Greene is the smart move for this team, with its current situation.

I'd even throw in some cash if SD didn't want to give up Greene for DCab straight up.

Do remember that Greene is semi-local and last year (don't have a link) many people said that he wanted to return to the east coast and Baltimore. I remember many people talking about this as a point to bring him here when he becomes a free agent. But trading for him for cheap would be very nice as well.

Greene is from Butler, PA, which is about 250 miles northwest of Baltimore. He attended Clemson. So he is accustomed to the East Coast.

Greene's value was a lot higher last off season then it is now so if he can be had for cheap, we should be all over that.

Greene's home/away splits 2005-2007.

Home .214 .275 .378

Away .265 .307 .462

He's a low OBP guy but no reason we couldn't expect at least .750 OPS and 20HR from him over here. From a SS with good defense we should be all over this.

Bingo.

Greene is a guy who is gonna hit some homers, but he is never gonna get on base a ton. He is a guy who will hit 6th or 7th in your lineup and provide nice pop, all while playing great defense from shortstop.

I think he may be the number one guy for me in terms of SS options for us to go after.

Greene is from Butler, PA, which is about 250 miles northwest of Baltimore. He attended Clemson. So he is accustomed to the East Coast.

Greene's value was a lot higher last off season then it is now so if he can be had for cheap, we should be all over that.

His offseason home is also in South Carolina, which is where he grew up, hence why he attended Clemson.

Greene is a "buy low" guy. If all it takes is trading them DCab to get him, it's a very good deal. We probably will non-tender DCab anyway, so it'd be like we get Greene for nothing.

Hardy will cost us probably 2 of our top prospects outside of Wieters.

Greene is the smart move for this team, with its current situation.

I'd even throw in some cash if SD didn't want to give up Greene for DCab straight up.

I'm not sure SD wants a guy who they will only control for one more year. I'd say they'd be looking for a couple young arms.

Certainly not one of Arrieta/Tillman, but someone among our lower rated arms, maybe a guy like Berken, plus a guy like Mickolio.

I'd certainly listen to the Padres offers on what it would take for Greene, even if what was for more than that.

I'm not sure SD wants a guy who they will only control for one more year. I'd say they'd be looking for a couple young arms.

Certainly not one of Arrieta/Tillman, but someone among our lower rated arms, maybe a guy like Berken, plus a guy like Mickolio.

I'd certainly listen to the Padres offers on what it would take for Greene, even if what was for more than that.

Also it's key that they can't just sit on him and take draft picks when he leaves. His injury prone 2008 has put paid to that. If (as seems likely) they know he isn't going to extend with them then they really must move him this off season. If the rumors that San Diego want to shed payroll are true then we could be in business. I think it might take Reimold and Bergesen though, there just aren't that many SS available. Yay or nay to that? (assuming that's what it took)?

Also it's key that they can't just sit on him and take draft picks when he leaves. His injury prone 2008 has put paid to that. If (as seems likely) they know he isn't going to extend with them then they really must move him this off season. If the rumors that San Diego want to shed payroll are true we could be in business. I think it might take Reimold and Bergesen though, there just aren't that many SS available. Yay or nay to that? (assuming that's what it took)?

That is way to steep of an offer.

The Padres would like to shed his $6M+ contract and his attitude and know that he wont be back as a free agent and he wont bring any compensation, so the idea to get rid of him now outweighs anything else.

Also it's key that they can't just sit on him and take draft picks when he leaves. His injury prone 2008 has put paid to that. If (as seems likely) they know he isn't going to extend with them then they really must move him this off season. If the rumors that San Diego want to shed payroll are true then we could be in business. I think it might take Reimold and Bergesen though, there just aren't that many SS available. Yay or nay to that? (assuming that's what it took)?

I would be willing to trade Reimold for him and possibly Liz as well if that's what it took. But as some have mentioned, it may not take that much to get him.

I'd only trade for him if we can resign him. And I think Greene will actually cost more than Hernandez and Beato...I was just using that pair as an example since Crazysilver proposed it.
No way Greene costs that much. He's owed $6.5M and is coming off a terrible year. Plus, things with him and the team have got to be pretty bad since they are essentially suing him for about 1/4 of his salary last year.

If that is there asking price, you walk away. Highest prospect I give up for him is one or maybe two guys in the 15-20 range. Penn and Hoey or something like that. I don't think it would take that much, and I actually do think they would have interest in a reclamation project like Cabrera.

I would be willing to trade Reimold for him and possibly Liz as well if that's what it took. But as some have mentioned, it may not take that much to get him.
That would be an unbelievably terrible trade, IMO. No way do I give up even Liz alone for him. His value is completely in the crapper and he's owed a ton of money. It won't take much to get him, and if it does, pass big time.

Archived